A commercially-aware, deadline-oriented full-stack web developer with six years' agency experience, I'm looking to further my career in agency Drupal development. As a passionate problem solver and analytical thinker I take great pleasure in building well-tested, usable websites and functional applications using elegant code and progressive solutions.
I'm competent in the following languages and technologies:
- HTML5 — well-formed, semantic, accessible
- CSS(3) and pre-processors — favourably SCSS with Compass or Bourbon, Susy (semantic grid framework) and Breakpoint
- Front-end dependency managers and task runners — Bower, Gulp, Grunt
- PHP — frameworks Zend Framework, CodeIgnitor
- MySQL — also confident with command-line MySQL
- CMS Platforms - Drupal 6 & 7, Wordpress, Magento CE & EE, MODX, Shopify
- Version Control — Git (and git-flow), SVN
- DevOps — Vagrant, UNIX server administration, composer, Drush, WP-CLI. Very confident working with the command line
- Software — Sublime Text 2, Netbeans, MySQL Workbench, Adobe Web Design Suite
- Experience working agile with waterfall
Yoke - Spike Island, Bristol
September 2015 — Present
Yoke is a digital agency that works with clients aiming to promote sustainability, and positive ethical and community change. Working with clients such as Barnwood Trust, Sustainable Food Trust and UK Green Building Council, my role has been to lead the planning, development and maintenance of Drupal and Wordpress sites.
Positive - Arnos Vale, Bristol
October 2012 — August 2015
Positive is a digital agency working primarily with charity, non-profit, and education clients. Drupal is their go-to platform. As a full-stack LAMP developer I worked closely with clients such as The Children's Society, Build Africa, Millfield School and Bath Rugby. Originally I was the sole developer and during my employment, as the dev team grew, played a pivotal role in establishing the direction of our workflow and best practices when working with Drupal. My key responsibilities were as follows:
- Scope and provide technical direction for work. Produce accurate timescales, maintain strong communication with the development team and project manager to achieve them, and manage time effectively within a busy agency environment.
- Operate as site builder, themer and developer to build and maintain Drupal sites.
- Optimising the in-house dev workflow, syncronisating with other developers, e.g. making heavy use of Features module, install profiles and .make files.
- Administering (and provisioning) development and production UNIX-based environments
In addition I attended DrupalCamp London and Smashing Conference Oxford in 2015. These conferences were an invaluable way to learn insights and methods from industry figureheads and I'm keen to attend these conferences (or similar) again.
The Pixel - Whitchurch, Bristol
April 2012 — November 2012
The Pixel is an official Magento Gold solution partner, offering web marketing and development services specialising in the World’s leading eCommerce platform. My role, working with clients such as Howies and Dartington Crystal, included the following:
- Site theming while adhering to best practices for upgradability and maintainability - overriding (as opposed to overwriting) theme templates and styles.
GGMR - Corsham, Wiltshire
June 2010 — April 2012
GGMR is a digital marketing agency specialising in web development and email marketing. I worked with clients such as Volunteer Reading Help charity and Vodafone, and as sole developer for most of my employment I was responsible for much of the IA, UX and development process.
Of particular note was my role in building a Drupal 6 website for Volunteer Reading Help charity in which I built, themed and developed custom modules to complement contrib modules for the site. The build included CMS training and a microsite for a London Evening Standard newspaper campaign 'Get London Reading'. I worked tirelessly to a strict brief and deadline, communicating closely with the client, internal designer and the Evening Standard's designer, to deliver a campaign that received donations in excess of £200,000, and volunteer applications numbering in the hundreds from the London area.
The Children's Society - Tough 'n Buff fitness campaign
Campaign microsite / webapp built using Foundation for Apps (AngularJS) front-end consuming 4 API integrations: Drupal 7 RESTful back-end, Facebook, JustGiving and Mailchimp. I was responsible for reimplementing Drupal user authentication via REST, Facebook integration, and general build and theming.
The Millfield School website is a Drupal 7 build. The site consists of several sections that carry similar but different identities, accomplished by using ThemeKey module (a multisite wasn't fit for the client's purpose). The site also boasts a complex cross-school publishing and content workflow system which was achieved using Workflow module. I was closely involved in all aspects of the build.
Undisclosed client - Partner University
Working with a London-based design agency we created a gamification platform on Drupal 7 to drive company partners to take courses and further their scope of expertise. The project was agile and released in a four-stage incremental release cycle, to tight and strict deadlines. To achieve this I worked closely with remote UX and designers, and another developer. My role was front-end focused but with a large role in the back-end. I produced dynamic data-driven graphs (built with RaphaelJS), a beautiful, well-tested interactive front-end and contributed to much of custom back-end functionality.
Barnwood Trust - You're Welcome
You're Welcome, a Drupal 7 site, is a community hub serving the county of Gloucestershire. In 2015 I was involved in migrating and deploying the site from Drupal 6 to 7, bringing with it a new theme and a host of new functionality. Most recently I've developed a custom module to create a performant, AJAX-fed centralised user notification system using a custom table and by leveraging Rules module. At present the module bolsters Organic Groups but was built as a foundation on which to incorporate other modules that require user actions at a later date.
Sustainable Food Trust - The True Cost of American Food
I was the sole developer on a one-page micro-site for Sustainable Food Trust, built using Wordpress. I fed into the UX decisions, improvised the mobile layout, as well as building and theming the page to a tight budget and deadline.
- BSc Music Technology (Hons) (2.2) – Staffordshire University2005-2008
- BEng General Engineering – Exeter University2003-2005
- 10 GCSEs (A to C); A Levels in Maths (C), Physics (C) and Chemistry (D) – Chew Valley School1999-2003
Having enjoyed working with computers since an early age, I'm a proud tech geek, and have always found curiosity and pleasure in dissecting and fixing technology. As an avid lover, and producer, of music, you'll find me in my home studio or collaborating with friends. I'm also a gym enthusiast and an avid cyclist.
Additional references available on request.